Applying for Glynn Grants
The Glynn Family Honors Program proudly supports a variety of undergraduate research initiatives. Students are eligible to receive up to $4,500 in different grants over the course of their study. While priority is given to students working on thesis research, we encourage students to apply for grants that open up new opportunities or lead to externally-funded grants later.
- Research and Travel Grant: up to $4,500
- Conferences and Professional Development Grants: up to $1,500
- Materials Grant: up to $1,500
Grant funds may be used for:
- Summer research expenses: such as travel, rent, or subsistence while doing research on campus or off campus
- Research travel undertaken in summer or during breaks
- Conference travel at any time
- Costs for research materials: generally for students in the College of Arts and Letters, such as books, reproductions, software, technical services, etc.
Funding cannot be used for:
- Attendance at a conference where a student is not a presenter
- Audio-visual equipment or computer equipment
- Service trips that lack a research component
- Students traveling internationally should register their trip with Notre Dame International at the same time as applying for the grant application.
- At present, applications for international travel should be submitted 6-8 weeks prior to departure. If a student needs to depart sooner, please reach out to one of the Glynn Directors or Dr. Snyder.
- Students undertaking high risk travel (for a definition of “high risk” see here) will need to submit a completed copy of the following form to Notre Dame International: Fall 2021 Safety Assessment Travel Risk Management Plan.
All grant proposals must include the following documents:
Proposal Narrative: a pdf of no more than 4 pages with the following sections:
- Your previous research experiences
- Research proposal (project background, description and significance of proposed research project, and relevance to future thesis plans)
- Career Plans (explanation of how this research experience fits into your career plans, both immediate and long-term).
- Conference Materials
- Advisor Approval Form*
- IRB Approval (if necessary)
- Waiver for domestic and/or international travel*
*available on Submittable application
- Research and Travel Grants for summer research: March 10
- All other grants: rolling basis
Submittable Application Portal
- College of Science Students apply here*
*most sophomore and junior students in the College of Science should apply to COS-SURF for summer research funding.
- College of Arts and Letters Students apply here